Sunday, September 13, 2015

My Farming Roots

Luckily I don't have to dig very deep to get in touch with my family farming roots.  Fact I don't have to look before my own generation.   My maternal grandfather came from a steady line of farmers.  My grandfather Henry Doyle Lewis grew up in the Oxford Idaho area and was a farm boy threw and threw.  When he was older he had his own farm raising hay, corn, sugar beets and cattle.  In 1983 my parents and grandparents decided to be co-owners of a dairy farm in Petersboro Ut.   After struggling to find financing for the dairy and the cows, the only option was ridiculously high interest loans.  Taking the gamble they borrowed the money and went to work to build the dairy.  Because  of the high interest rates and the and economic challenges, the payments were getting hard to make.  My dad, a cabinet maker and my grandpa a postman, both were working full time plus the dairy on the side.  This was becoming more and more taxing.   They  decided to have someone step in and run the dairy for a while.  When that didn't work out my grandpa  returned to the dairy to find out the cows had mastitis and were not producing milk.  This is not very good for a dairy farm.  Another struggle came when they bought a new herd of cows only to find out that they too had mastitis.  By 1989 the bank was tired of the empty promises and reclaimed the dairy along with taking our home and my grandparents home to recoup their investment.  This was a very trying time for our family.  

In looking at the timeline ( http://www.agclassroom.org/gan/timeline/1980.htm ), the economic factors played a big part of the struggles of the farm.   The interest rates on the loans in the 1980's were really high.  For starting or small scale farmers, this was a big hurdle to get over.   Many farms like my family's, never really recovered.  The droughts may have played a part in the costs of feed for the cows.  I don't think our area was really effected by the drought but it may have been.   When I was born in 1986, the farm values had reached the bottom of the economic slump.   I wish this was a success story about how the small farmer made it through rough times but it is not.  The reality is that farming is a gamble.  Some years you win and some you lose.  We had just lost to many in a row.