Saturday, September 26, 2015

Golden Sweetness

This summer I had some of the most exquisite corn I have ever eaten.   The corn they call Ambrosia is my new favorite.  It is the perfect color of yellow and dotted with white kernels.  It is a sweet corn but not too sweet and had an incredible amount of flavor.  This home grown corn was among two varieties that my father had planed earlier this year.  When I sat down with him to talk about why he planted this particular variety he said because the guy that sells him his seeds, said that it is great corn with long ears.   Although the ears did not seem to be much larger than the other varieties they tasted like candy.    After doing a little research I have come to know that the variety is hybrid sugar-enhanced sweet corn.  The history of sweet corns goes way back to native days many centuries ago.  Although the sweet corn has been around a long time, the sugar-enhanced corns are less than a century old.  According to Debra Larson of the University of Illinois, sometime in the 1960's a man by the name Rhodes discovered the "sugary enhancer" trait.  The corn was a cross between Illinois sweet corn and a corn from Bolivia. "This trait modified normal sugary sweet corn, resulting in about twice as much sugar content and extremely tender kernels."  Corn is really a neat thing to garden since it cross pollinates from the surrounding corn.  When one variety is grown next to another it can result in a new variety.  This is how there are so many different kinds.  Another nice trait of sweet corn is that it grows well anywhere there is enough sunlight.  From my experience with watching and helping with my fathers' garden, I have learned that the spacing is a critical part of a healthy corn harvest.  When the seeds are planted 6 inches apart and the rows are 18 inches apart, the ears of corn seem to be larger and fuller.  Resulting in delicious corn.  This is one of my most favorite summer treats.  Take some corn right out of the garden with some butter, sprinkled with a little salt and pepper, wrap it up in some foil and throw it on the grill or in the camp fire.  I don't know if there is anything better!  Oh my goodness!!  


Larson, Debra. "Inside Illinois." News Bureau. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 7 Aug. 2003. Web. 27 Sept. 2015.